My husband and I love Creole! Well, honestly, we love pretty much all Cajun cooking. Since moving to the MS Gulf Coast in 2009 I have been trying out new Cajun recipes. Some I have loved and some I have hated. This recipe for Creole is one I LOVE!
My version of this New Orleans delight contains no tomato sauce (therefore no sugar), no heavy lards, and no creams. It's all veggie and lean proteins and I promise you will love it!
No Skinnies Cajun Creole!
What You'll Need:
- 3 Onions, Chopped
- 2-3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 3 Each Red, Green, and yellow Peppers, Chopped
- 1/2 Bunch of Celery, Chopped finely
- 5 Fresh Tomatoes, Chopped
- 2-3 Packages Turkey Sausage, Chopped
- 1 lbs Shrimp, peeled & deveined (if desired)
- Left over Chicken breast & dark meat (if you have it around...if not, leave it out!)
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- 3 Tbsp Tony's
- 1 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 6-8 Bay Leaves
- 2.5 Tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 Tbsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
- Family size bag of Okra
- Brown onion, celery, peppers and garlic in less than 1 Tbsp Olive Oil. Cook until somewhat soft. This will take some time. Stir often.
- Add remaining ingredients except for okra.
- Cover and simmer for several hours stirring often.
- Thirty minutes to 1 hour before serving add Okra and continue to cook. Stir often.
- You can serve as is or over rice. I stopped serving over rice and no one seems to have noticed!
This amount of food will make at least 15 servings. I have no idea how to tell you the calorie info because I don't know if you'll use all of the meats I suggested. With the meats I used in this recipe I figured the individual servings to be in the neighborhood of 250 calores AT THE MOST! And that is for a generous portion!
This post was shared on The Naptime Review.