Secret for keeping the weight off!
Beam Jones is a No Skinnies reader who created a wonderful soup template and agreed to share it with us! Thank you Beam!
Here's what Beam has to say about soup: "I've been trying to eat clean and healthy for a couple of years now. My secret for losing weight and keeping it down is having a pot of low- fat, low-carb soup around! I'm not very good at recipes but here's my soup template."
- Take one onion, diced and sauteed.
- Add one box of good stock; beef, chicken, seafood, whatever seems to suit your soup.
- Add a seasoning packet or other flavoring.
- Add any combination of fresh, frozen, canned vegetable, a meat/protein, and whole grain carb.
- Simmer for 15-20 min.
- Remove from heat and add a handful of fresh herbs.
- The fresh herbs will make it taste like made from scratch, so don't skip them, but you don't have to buy the fancy 5-bucks-for-2-stems kind. I mostly use green onions, cilantro, and parsley; they're usually only a dollar a bunch. And if you wash, chop, and store them in a ziplock bag in the freezer, they will last for months!
Make a Unique Pot of Soup
Just mix and match whatever you have on hand to make a unique pot of soup. :) Great place for small amounts of leftover dinner, wilted produce, and frost burned veggies!
Here are some that I regularly make at my house:
- Taco seasoning + ground beef + can of corn + can of red or black beans + green onions & cilantro = Mexican soup
- Tony Chachere's + can of tomato + cut okra + crawfish/shrimp + gumbo filet + parsley = gumbo soup
- Italian seasoning + can of tomato + quick cooking barley + ground beef + green beans + parsley = Italian soup
- (can also use Italian sausage or meatballs, and spinach or kale for green beans)
- (fresh basil would be fantastic in this, but it can be pricey unless you get a good deal somewhere or grow your own)
- Soy sauce or miso + vinegar + bamboo shoot + straw mushroom + sambal olek or sriracha + green onions & cilantro = hot and sour soup
- Seafood broth + Soy sauce or miso + asparagus + crabmeat + quail eggs! + green onions & cilantro = Vietnamese asparagus soup