Living on the MS Gulf Coast has taught me a whole new world of flavors. The foods here are rich in the flavors of Louisiana and are very cajun inspired! When we first moved here, I spent many hours in the kitchen with ham hocks and beans and various seasonings trying to replicate the delicious flavors my husband and I enjoyed while eating out. One day I asked a little old lady who has lived her whole life on the MS Gulf Coast to please share her secrets for preparing red beans and rice. With a half grin she said, "Two words - Blue Runner". I was so confused! What!??? Really? Her beloved family secret for preparing red beans and rice was to use canned beans? Yes. Canned beans. So I headed to the grocery store and stocked up. I prepared the beans for my husband one night without telling him that they came from a can. He lapped them up and declared that they were the best beans I had ever cooked. LOL. So I'm sold - Blue Runner Red Beans it is!
What You'll Need
- 1 large can Blue Runner Creole Cream Style or New Orleans Spicy Cream Style Red Beans
- 1 small can Blue Runner Creole Cream Style or New Orleans Spicy Cream Style Red Beans
- 1 medium Yellow Onion chopped
- 1 large Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 package Turkey Smoked Sausage
- Place beans in a large pot over low heat. Allow to heat slowly.
- Heat large skillet with the olive oil. Add minced garlic, onion, and green pepper. Saute 5-10 minutes until veggies are soft.
- Add veggies to beans and stir well.
- Chop the sausage into small bite sized pieces. Brown in the same skillet you cooked veggies in. Add to beans. Stir well.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 Cup; Calories per serving: Approx 350 Calories.
*Note - I do not serve rice with the beans. My family prefers them without rice. If you serve your beans with rice you will need to add 120 calories per 1/2 cup of rice.